Stud enlargement

To: Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Stud enlargement
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:30:23 EST
Paul

Our last episode ended with me planning on installing 7/16" studs.

The best stud in could source is a Moroso #46150, which has the smallest
knurl diameter .480, but is a bit too long at 2 7/8". I will need to take an
inch
off of these.

A 12 mm drill (4724) will yield the closest to the suggested .005 undersize
for the press fit.

Not even addressing the issue of the milled vs drilled chamfer. The western
wheels that I am using get centered by the studs not the hub, so it seems to me
that proper alignment of the new holes is critical.  I have grave doubts
about whether this is going to work in my basement with a cheap (not yet
purchased) drill press.

I am assuming that the brake drums find center via the little countersunk
screws, so this isn't as crucial enlarging the holes for the new studs.

I do have a second car which I would also like to switch, so the idea of
buying of doing this all myself appeals to one side of me. However, driving
down
the road in a vibrating car, thrashing the wheels bearings may not be the
desired result here. I am also thinking it would be better to shorten and taper
the
ends of the studs on a lathe rather my hacksaw and file.

So I am thinking of sending the whole deal to you, and getting this thing
done professionally. If I had a machine shop that I could trust I would take it
locally, but this is not the case. I can't even get tires balanced.

I thought I was doing everything correctly, when I purchased tires for the
wheels from the Tire Rack, and went to one of their approved installers. It
took
me awhile to explain why I wanted rim weights on the inboard side (to clear
the tire rod end) and stick weights just inside the spokes (for aesthetic
reasons). Despite insurance regulations I watched attempt at balancing. They
had
this sophisticated balancing machine which kept giving divergent results.

Finally (one wheel, a pile of discarded weights and 45 minutes later) the
manager told me that machine took a while to warm up, and the "average" reading
was good enough especially if I use a little less air pressure. Geez. This guy
was an Eastern european emigre (as was my mother) but he was giving the
Sputnik program a bad name.

Should I be concerned about all of those now inpatient sobs who were glad
that I finally left in a huff, so they could now get their wheels balanced?

Let me know if I should send this to you or your machinist directly?

I am posting this to the list, for all of those internet voyeurs who may find
this info useful when not watching the Paris Hilton (or was that the SOS?)
video.

David