Re: Wheel Bearings

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:30:36 -0800
Hi David,

This is a fairly common occurrence to me.  What I do is use a muffler cutter
and grind a slot into this inner race.  Don't need to go all the way
through.  Then take cold chisel and put the point into the slot and hit
firmly with a hammer.  It usually splits fairly easily at the cut.  Then
pull off the inner race with your fingers.

Now, you need to find out why it was stuck on the spindle.  Typically the
reason is a small burr or two on the spindle.  I use a small very fine file
to remove the burr and any high points anywhere on the spindle, allowing the
file to float under my finger..  Try using an old junk bearing or race to
see if it will slide on OK.  Don't force it and use a small amount of oil
rubbed on the spindle before trying it each time.  The tiniest amount of
filings, grit or protuberances will give you fits, so be careful and be
almost sterile in techniques while trying a fit of a bearing.

Later, Paul A