Re: Fit of repro parts?

To: "Lester Ewing" <lewing@sport.rr.com>, "spridgets List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fit of repro parts?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:07:27 -0400
joy-o-joy!  there are some parts in the european car comunity that are less
than perfect.  some are undersized due to using vintage parts as the
examples wich moulds or dies were made from.  others are a poor quality
rubber wich has a very high shrinkage rate.  you rarely see this in the
corvette, 55-57 chevy, mustang , thunderbird restoration crowd's components.
i use old truck tire innertubes and trace and hand cut wiper transmission
gaskets.  the rear rubber for the hood to cowel is right as they were never
full length.   as for the heater box seal, go to the hardware store and get
some "rubber", not foam storm door stripping with an adhesive backing and
cut to fit in order to insure a good seal.  now why rubber as opposed to a
rather easily compressed and fooled with sponge foam material?
first off the foam degenerates in heat and in an oily environment , secondly
you want to do this operation once.  ok?  the rubber material will outlast
the foam and retain it's seal far longer.(and it is far less sensitive to
the heat of an engine compartment)

chuck
home from a rough weekend scouts camping outing!   i am absolutly exhausted!