Re: Vent window pivot rivets

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Vent window pivot rivets
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:53:35 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Larry Daniels wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I need to replace the vent window assembly's upper pivot/hinge.  It is riveted
> to the frame with a solid rivet with a slightly domed top.  I'm unfamiliar
> with how these rivets work.  How is the old one taken out and the new one
> installed?

Drill out the rivets with (usually) an 1/8" bit.
Pop rivets will work but they will look like uh, they won't look good.
You will need a rivet tool or some finesse with a small hammer and a
suitable punch on the other side of the rivet.
I would practice the hammer and punch trick first.
I have done it with copper rivets on none pretty goods so it really
didn't matter. But on the chrome, make it  n i c e.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ

Check out the new British Cars Forum: