Accelerometter and interesting math question

To: <owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net> FILETIME=[828EAD00:01C4B77D] i9LEr1KB023335
Subject: Accelerometter and interesting math question
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:51:54 -0600
Hello,

I managed to place my hands on a G probe (acceleration probe) that I can
connect to my calculator to gather information.

Now, the question is: how do I use this to calculate the horsepower of my car
:-)

1 horse power is equal to:
745.7 kg * m2 / s^3

1 g is equal to 9.81 m / s2

The car is 1088 kg (2400 lbs * 0.4536)

I can get the speed of my car out of the tacho knowing that 1mph = .447m/s (or
by integrating the acceleration curve)

So, can I assume that the following equation will give me my engine horsepower
at any given time:

Power = (probe_output*9.81 m/s2 * 1088 kg * current_speed * 477 m/s) / 745.7 ?

(knowing of course that this value does not take into account external and
internal frictions such as air friction, alternator, drive train... (note that
the air pump is not here :-) ).

Interesting problem, isn't it?

cyrille

Check out the new British Cars Forum: