Re: Accelerometter and interesting math question

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Accelerometter and interesting math question
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:31:07 -0700 reply-type=original
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Cyrille,

This is why I bought a dirt cheap older model of the G-tech.  Someone else
does the math, and all I had to do was hook up a temporary connection for a
cigarette lighter plug.
If you like, I could mail it to you to try out for a few weeks, and you can
burn rubber to your heart's content.  I found that after a couple of runs I
knew what I wanted to know and now it sits on the bench until the next major
mods.

Hey! We could send it around the list for free as long as each user promises
to post their results to the list before sending it on to the next lister.
????

Glen

> Hello,
>
> I managed to place my hands on a G probe (acceleration probe) that I can
> connect to my calculator to gather information.
>
> Now, the question is: how do I use this to calculate the horsepower of my
> car :-)
>
> 1 horse power is equal to:
> 745.7 kg * m2 / s^3
>
> 1 g is equal to 9.81 m / s2
>
> The car is 1088 kg (2400 lbs * 0.4536)
>
> I can get the speed of my car out of the tacho knowing that 1mph = .447m/s
> (or by integrating the acceleration curve)
>
> So, can I assume that the following equation will give me my engine
> horsepower at any given time:
>
> Power = (probe_output*9.81 m/s2 * 1088 kg * current_speed * 477 m/s) /
> 745.7 ?
>
> (knowing of course that this value does not take into account external and
> internal frictions such as air friction, alternator, drive train... (note
> that the air pump is not here :-) ).
>

> Interesting problem, isn't it?
>
> cyrille

Check out the new British Cars Forum: