Re: Retorquing Head

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Retorquing Head
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:32:30 -0600 reply-type=original with any abuse report
> According to Rivergate, re-torquing
> "for the helluvit" is not recommended
> and I've never seen this in a maintenance
> or service schedule, myself.

I know Bill does not recommend it. I also know that he gasket manufacturers
these days say "it is no longer necessary" implicitly conceeding that it HAS
been necessary. I also happen to know that I did re-torque the head of the
engine that Bill Perry built for me at 1000 miles and felt that the bolts
were no longer at specified torque, since the torque needed to back them off
the quarter turn was significantly less than the torque to which they had
been tightened. I am not prepared to desist from this practise.
David Lieb

Check out the new British Cars Forum: