RE: Bugeye wheel bearings

To: "'Bill Rister'" <brister@houston.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Bugeye wheel bearings
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:06:28 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
One good thing about this list is "it is OK to disagree" even if you are
wrong.  All spridgets came with the ball bearings on the front hubs.  It is
as critical that the thrust sides be installed properly with either type of
bearing, it is just harder to tell with the ball bearing ones.  Maybe what
you are looking at is a difference between old original bearings and new
ones? Tapered cone roller bearings were never installed at the factory, but
it is a common conversion and has been for years, I believe I first did it
in 69.
                Crash

Paul and Frank both say the roller bearings were after-market.   I have
to disagree ...apparently this type ball bearing was used with the
62-forward Sprite/Midgets.   The roller bearings I removed from my AN5
were original.  They have never been replaced the entire 43 years I've
owned the car ... not thru neglect, I simply have low mileage - 67k at
this time.     Apparently BMC went to the ball bearing configuration
with the first or second square body.  So I'll go ahead and give these a
try.

Thanks to all for the quick replies.