Re: Measurements and Capacities

To: <Ankitterer@aol.com>, <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Measurements and Capacities
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:26:53 -0000
He Bob,
I wouldn't "knit-pick your math!

My point was that although at that time (1960's) all other measurements were
in Imperial, for some strange reason engine capacities were always quoted in
metric cc's

My first car was an Austin 7, built in 1931. (( but I owned it in the 1960's!!
) Engine size 750cc.  It was always quoted thus in the UK.

Now it is just a mess.  People talk about miles when describing journeys.
Measure shorter things in metres and centimeters.  Coloquially talks about
yards and feet. Buy composite boards in imperial sizes but metric thickness (
"an 8 X 4 sheet of 9mm ply" !!) Quote fuel consumption in miles per gallon ,
but buy the fuel at the pumps in litres. Fuel tanks are measured in Gallons,
and you talk about topping up with a pint of oil but it comes in a 1/2 litre
or 1 litre or 41/2 litre pack... I could go on !!

but throughout, in the UK, engine capacities have always been in litres or
cc's, Never in Cubic Inches!
Spitfires were powered by a 27,000cc Rolls Royce engine in 1941 and you cannot
get much more British than that!

Guy