Need help to identify this motor (Please!)

To: morrisminors@smartgroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net,morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help to identify this motor (Please!)
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:14:26 -0500
Cc: kmclemore@hotmail.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, gang -

I recently was able to buy a *brand new* (NOS) BMC A-Series engine - it had been sitting for many years in the corner of a race-builder's shop. He's an old friend of mine, and he and had planned to use this mill for a race engine but never got around to it, but now that he's retiring, he's clearing out all his stuff.

The Engine Number is 8G150-RS54795, and on top is a 12G295 head. The bores match that of a standard 1098cc BMC (it has the familiar "1100" tag riveted on the side), and it has 2" mains like a "10CC" motor. The fuel pump flange has never been drilled through, and it has one mounting stud installed on that flange, presumably for securing the tappet cover's vent tube, as on Morris Minors.

Strangely, the block has unusually thick (high) flanges on the sump mounting area (about 3/8-1/2" high), and another odd thing is that the head does not have any recesses in-between the ports (the 'pockets' that are usually found above and below/ in-between each port are missing).. instead, the head has a very wide, flat gasket surface area covering the entire exhaust/ intake side of the head.

I have *no* idea what this engine is. The "8G" engine number would lead me to believe it's an 850, but the bores are too big and the tag says 1100.

I'm stumped.

Can anyone tell me identify this motor? Is it possibly an 1100cc BMC GPO motor? Or a BMC marine engine? Help! (please?)

Cheers,
Kevin McLemore

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html