Re: Reassembling/reinstalling engine: preferred order

To: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Subject: Re: Reassembling/reinstalling engine: preferred order
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:27:20 -0600 reply-type=response
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Do the head studs need to be torqued into the block?

If you still have a 948 in your Mk II, you should pay particular attention
to the five head studs that penetrate into the cooling passages on one side
of the engine.  If you don't seal the threads, cooling water can leak out
through the threads.  I've tried a couple of different thread sealants such
as ARP or Permatex thread sealant, but I've found what works for me is
hardening Permatex Form-a-gasket sealant (I think it's Permatex #2).

-Karl