starving for air at idle?

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: starving for air at idle?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:05:39 -0800
I've been off and on the list for the past two weeks
asking about SU carbs on my MK1 948.

I've got it tuned pretty well.
Single SU HS2 carb on a 948 motor.
Using a heat shield.
Using correct needle.
Adjusted the float.

Good power.
Starts with the choke when cold.
Throttle cable is working properly.
Choke is not sticking.
No air leaks. Checked with carb spray a number of times.
Using morris minor air box with no filter.
Carb is set on the lean side.

Strange thing I've noticed.

The car sometimes takes a while to idle down.
At idle sometimes (car warmed up) the car will drop below 500 rpm and
the very slowly die. Of course I can rev her up and keep her
from dieing. It was not happening very often but today it was kind of
rainy and it acted up on me. :(  (Less air in the air and more
moisture?)

When this happens in the drive way I'll quickly throw open
the bonnet and rev up the motor at the carb a couple of times and
she's fine. Idles normally. I will close the bonnet and
after a while she will slowly idle down till it dies.
In traffic when this happens I rev the motor up a couple of times
(bonnet closed)
and she still wants to idle below 500RPM and then die slowly.
The throttle cable seems fine and it is not hitting the bonnet.

It's like the carb is not getting enough air.
Maybe I need to use the needle on the lean side?
Maybe I need to go get my dual SU's fixed and give up on the single carb.
Maybe I just need to live with this issue.

In conclusion
Setting the carb lean has helped greatly.
The heat shield helped alot.

Mike from Sacramento California

http://www.mikeaarset.com/bugeye/