Re: Compressor (buying) help wanted

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Compressor (buying) help wanted
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:26:07 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Thursday 24 March 2005 08:08 pm, Frank Clarici wrote:
> HELP!!
> Even after *winning* the class action suit against Campbell-Hausfield
> compressors, I still need a new compressor.
> The $20 chinese made air tool they gave me as my suit winnings dodn't
> really help my compressor situation, in fact, their compressor won't run
> their air tool for more than a few minutes.
>
> So I need some help with what to buy.
> No way will I buy anything from Home Defect or Lowlifes.
> BTDT and need something REAL this time.
>
> I do not have a lot of room for an 80 gal tank.
> My old 30 gal was fine, but my new 60 gal from lowlifes is not 1/2 of
> what my 30 gal was.
>
> The 60 gal verticle fits in my garage next to the door where all the
> pipes are, I need to keep it close to the same size and location.
>
> 15 cfms @ 90 psi should be OK for my needs. 11 is not.
> I have 240 volts.
> Do I want a single stage? two stage?
> I do lots of blast cabinet work and use air sanders on cars.
>
> What does the list suggest?

It is really easy for me to spend your money, but this is a purchase that
might last the rest of your life and one that you will use lots.  If it does
not live up to what you want you have just wasted all your money and will
have to buy again.  Some of the other suggestions were good:

1) Used old iron
2) Made in the USA

Could I add that the shipping weight of the unit might give a gross indication
of the quality.  While I listed some IR units below you might do well to
check out some local suppliers of compressors.  Also consider the duty cycle
as another measure of quality, some units claim 100% duty cycle.

While these are not local you might want to contact  or find a dealer:
http://www.harrisequipment.com/
http://www.energymachinery.com/

Anyway research this purchase and do not buy it on impluse.  If you think you
have found the unit you want DO NOT BUY IT THAT DAY.  Ask around and wait at
least a couple of day. Think of the purchase as a marriage, for life, or
costly to end.

Of course this is advice from a guy who cheaped out, got a great deal and now
realized I purchased way too small.  The next compressor will be expensive
and only the list, my dogs and I will have to know the true cost.  But give
it lots of thought.

Check out:

Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor
5 HP, 15.6 CFM At 175 PSI,
230/1/60 volts, Model# TS4L5
$1100
Ship Wt. 400.0 lbs
http://tinyurl.com/4m2fs

Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor
5 HP, 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI
230 Volt, Model# SS5L5
$800
Ship Wt. 310.0 lbs
http://tinyurl.com/5rra2

Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor
5 HP, 16.8 CFM At 175 PSI
Model# 2475N5
$1,530
Ship Wt. 535.0 lbs