Oil pressure / running..

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure / running..
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:24:57 -0500
     Ok, for those of you playing along you will remember that I had
a low (20 PSI) oil pressure reading after running the car for a
bit..  After several clever suggestions and the obvious answer
(Rebuild yer engine) I of course went with the cheap fix..  I put a
small nut under the oil pressure relief spring.  This is the followup:

     Cold oil pressure went up at idle to 75 psi

     warm running oil pressure , 3 K revs, is around 40 psi

     hot idle oil pressure, after multiple 60 mph runs up and down
the parkway,  0 + or -...

So, I have decided to keep driving the car as is since it's not
practical to rebuild the engine considering that ;
(a) I have other cars to drive,
(b) this is just a nice Sunday driver for the few weeks a year that
Shreveport has nice weather and
(c) I would spend entirely too much money making a go fast engine
when all I need is a stock one.

All of that said,  I also noticed that the car seemed to be fighting
itself.  It took a long time to get the car up to 60 or so but having
no experience with Bugeyes I ask the following, is that normal?  Also
there is a noise coming from the driver's rear that sounds for all
the world like loose bearings in a race inside a coffee can.  At slow
speeds it sounds like a toy with someone rotating a can and each ball
goes clink, then the next goes clink..  just like that.. any ideas?

Thanks again all,

Lester

'59 Bugeye, 948 engine, Datsun trans