Re: Re[2]: English amps

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: English amps
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:58:21 -0700
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>      P=IxIxR.?
I'm sure you're right about the bumpers.  Maybe you misunderstood what I was
saying about amps. I was responding to the question of whether or not
English amps were different from ours, and I was referring to electronic
devices with dual voltage power supplies that could be used both here and
abroad.
The relevant formula would be simply P=EI, or in plain English - the total
power in watts is equal to the voltage times the amps, or conversely the
amps are equal to the watts divided by the voltage.
A device using 1 HP, or 746 watts of power, and running on 240 volts, will
draw 3.108..amps. The same 746 watt device  running on 120 volts will draw
6.216..amps.
Or, in terms of real English amps.....Motorhead's 100 watt Marshall's
require 2 amp fuses when they play at home, and 4 amp fuses when they tour
the States. This sometimes confuses people into thinking that British
amperes or fuses are somehow different from ours.
BZ