Bugeye bodywork question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bugeye bodywork question
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:49:31 -0700
Hello there,

I'm currently considering a couple of different bugeyes for possible
purchase. One of them is quite nice, but suffers from one major flaw.at some
time in the past someone thought it would be a good idea to cut all four
wheel wells to accommodate larger wheels/tires. The current owner has done a
nice job covering the butcher job done to this car with some very subtle
fender flairs.

My question is this. is it possible to repair this damage by cutting the
wheel wells out of a donor car (read later model midget or sprite) and
fitting them to the butchered areas? Having never owned a Sprite, I'm not
sure how the bodies compare from year to year as regards the wheel area. The
current owner didn't think it could be done without compromising the
integrity of the bonnet. I know this kind of fix (maybe not quite to the
scale of this one) is done routinely to rear panels on Midgets and Sprites,
but I am not sure if in this situation the donor needs to be a bugeye
specifically.

Your opinions would be very much appreciated. Thx!

Bill