Fw: Sputtering on Acceleration, etc.

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Sputtering on Acceleration, etc.
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:19:43 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From Bert Shirey
To: Bill Gilroy
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: Sputtering on Acceleration, etc.

    Yeah, Bill. I`ve gotten  those. Most wouldn`t go on the shaft, unless I
wanted to use excessive force. For some reason bashing something into the
distributor with a mallet gives me pause. They went into the box of mystery
parts. It`s a big box.
   The rotor that gave me trouble fit okay and was on the car, off and on,
maybe 5 years. (That`s about 3, 000 miles in Bugeye time.) Looks fine. Kept it
as a trophy. I still have no idea what`s wrong with it. All I know is that at
the time, I only stuck in the fresh one because I had kicked the old one under
the car and didn`t feel like fishing for it in the mood I was in.
   I had about given up when I put the cap back on and hit the starter switch
with my thumb that was sore from having done that all morning. The engine
fired off  cold with one plug lead disconnected and no choke, even. Startled
the living daylights out of me. I banged my head on the bonnet. Spilled my
Scotch and broke my favorite glass, the one with the Bugeye on it. Woke the
cat, who isn`t  allowed in the garage anyway.
     Sometimes I wonder if the problem might have been something else. Maybe
the carbon contact in the cap not making proper contact with the first rotor?
I never put that rotor back in to verify it was bad. I keep thinking about
that ground wire in there, too. Better to leave well enough alone, I say.
     I don`t know how many times that hot lead has worked loose on this and my
first Bugeye and fooled me to thinking something more complicated was wrong,
though. I`d like to know how Jerry`s sputtering problem turns out.

Bert Shirey