Indy 500 (long & no real LBC)

To: "'Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net'" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Indy 500 (long & no real LBC)
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:25:27 -0500
Fellow sports car and race car fans,

I'm really bummed today. One of my very best friends just moved away. He is a
Professor of American Culture, an author and a lecturer. He accepted a job at
Indiana University teaching and editing a journal for professional historians.

While we were saying our good-byes yesterday afternoon, he was quizzing me
about any books I know of about the culture of the Indy 500. Not the cars, the
track, the teams, etc. -- all the stuff we are interested in -- but the
culture of the people attending and the event itself.  We have been good
friends long enough that I can see the wheels spinning in his head. He is
thinking of a new book. (He hasn't written any books since the Oklahoma City
bombing and I think he's getting itchy.)

I don't know of any books approaching the Indy 500 from this angle and told
him so. Do any of you? If a well done book has already been written, there is
no point in rehashing it, but, if not, he may be interested. I have explained
to him the make up of the fans ranging from those fans without a clue (like
many at Indy who are there because it's the place to be on Memorial Day
weekend) to knowledgeable fans to those of us who don't feel alive, ourselves,
until the speeds are well into the triple digits.

This is what he wants to explore as well as the event (logistics, marketing,
effects on the community, expectations of sponsors etc., etc.). So, do any of
you know of an already-done book on this or related work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
58 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."