Re: AZ and NM LBC-friendly?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AZ and NM LBC-friendly?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 05:32:46 -0700
Cc: <hobbycars@cox.net>
Hi, JLCI am a long-time lurker here in Southern NM, who has learned an
awful lot about our cars from Yall guys(contraction of Yall and youse
guys)

      Currently, with the exception of Bernilillo County (Albuquerque) there
is not an inspection requirement for any, yep, I said ANY cars in NM!!
Albuquerque requires emissions tests, but I do not know the details.

      This situation is obviously a boon for those of us who have several
old brit cars and inspect them ourselves for safety, and dont have to worry
about annual emissions tests.  The downside is evident when 1 out of 4 cars
you meet at night have both headlights pointing at the driver of oncoming
traffic, and the one you are following has one tail, and no brake lights.

      We also have mandatory insurance laws that are not enforced, so it is
imperative that we carry uninsured motorist coverage.  To quote one of our
state representatives a couple of years ago when the legislature was
discussing ways to enforce the insurance requirement, I wont vote for any
type of changesmy constituents cannot afford car insurance.

      Having said that, I am living in the Land of Enchantment by choice,
settling down here after having lived in many places in the west and
southwest.  (IMHO)The spring-time winds and dust is a small price to pay for
living in a Tornado, hurricane, earthquake-free zone.  We do have occasional
flash floods, but if you know not to build in an Arroyo, and not to drive
through rushing water, you are ok, there, too.

      As you probably know, we are now experiencing daytime high temps in
the 70s and overnight lows in the high 30s or low 40s.  Silver City is
about 5-10 degrees cooler.  There is a good sized brit car club in Southern
NM (about 100 members), as well as a bunch of enthusiasts in Albuquerque.

      All you have to do if immigrating to NM, is learn the answer to two
questions---what is the state flag?  A wal-mart bag flying from a Yucca!
And, is that Dust on my car?  No, thats enchantment.

      If you decide to move here, Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Ed Townley

On the East bank of the Rio Grande, at the base of the Robledos in Southern
NM (Doqa Ana), USA

64 BJ8 (Healeymonster)

59 AN5 (Horny Toad)

55 FX3 Austin Taxi (Nigel)

59 AN5 right hand drive projectno name yet.

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:52:49 -0800

From "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars at cox.net>

Spridgeteers,

I am going to retire in about 2 1/2 years... and I am already planning for

it.

We are going to settle either in NM or AZ -  one side of my wife's family

comes from New Mexico, the other from Arizona . Right now we are leaning

towards New Mexico, either near Siver City or an area outside Albuquerque.

Are these states LBC friendly? Would there be any inspections for

safety/smog, whatever,  for a 1959 Bugeye and a 1970 Seven?  Would the

requirements vary from county to county? Would the Bugeye need to have the

original drivetrain to be street legal?

JLC