Re: Garage lifts

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Garage lifts
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:09:59 -0800
  Go look at Bend-Pak ( http://www.bendpak.com/ ) nice stuff and if
you get it from Garage Equipment Supply (
http://gesusa.di4.com/ges4less/  )  you wont have to pay shipping and
get a good price also.  My 4-post is from LiftsUnlimited  (
http://www.liftsunlimited.com/  ) and although a nice lift its
actually made by Eagle, I would not recommend them based on the
company, the lift I have no problem recommending but you won't like
the company.  I have a friend who has a Backyard Buddy lift and very
nice quality but its "moves" around more than I like with a car on
top and me underneath, perfectly safe, no worries but when wrenching
under the car and the things sways a little it makes you wonder, my
lift due to the larger column base does not do that so if I was
looking for a new lift, I would look at the column base size for
stability.  Eagle has a good reputation also, along with of course Rotary.

   The Bend-Pak lift I have (
http://www.bendpak.com/product_info.isg?products_id=759 )  I think is
awesome and just based on the quality of welds and size of steel etc.
I would have no problems with their 4-post lift.

    As far as 2-post or 4-post, that is a religious or politics kind
of thing, some say 4 and some say 2.  With my 2 lifts I have the best
of both worlds but I am firmly in the 4-post camp.  They are easy to
install, standard 4" garage floor will handle them and many have
caster kits to make them easy to move (although I must admit that
after the first week, I have never moved mine), they are also easy to
drive onto and lift. The 2-post have to have 6" thick concrete, must
be bolted down and you can't just drive on and lift, you have to
maneuver the lifting legs into the right position, yes that is minor
but its something.  You can of course store a car on both lifts but
if your car drips oil a 4-post can have drip trays to protect the car
underneath.  And especially if you are going to store a car the
4-post is the way to go, you drive on and lift.   For working, I can
see the advantages of the 2-post but in reality, I don't do
suspension and brake work that often that I can't put the car on the
lift and get all 4-wheels off the ramps with the jack bridges and my
jack.  It only takes me about 10 minutes to lift the car and get all
4 wheels off, something that I do maybe once or twice a year so for
me the 2-post has no advantages.

   My second lift was really to help out my back and get my cars
frame/chassis to a comfortable working height and also when I do the
body work I will have it at eye level rather then bend over and hurt
my back even more.  But of course I do use it for when I pull the
wheels off now that I have it.

        Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/