Re: Bugeye Group..... Tach reduction gear

To: bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Group..... Tach reduction gear
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:57:08 -0800
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
b-evans@earthlink.net wrote:
> Ron Soave and I were looking at three tach reduction gears I have in my
> parts boxes.  We began wondering if the same gear that is found on the
> Frogeye Sprites was also used on any other English cars of the period.
> Donald Healey, after all, borrowed ready-made parts from a wide range of
> other cars.
>
> Later, when I cleaned them up, I found that one had a number of 4302/00,
> while the other two had numbers of 4302/50.
>
> Does anyone know 1) if the Sprite tach reduction gear was found on other
> cars, or 2) what is the difference between the two numbers (all are
> Smith's).
>
> Buster Evans

Don't know about the 4302/00 gear drive, but I have two NOS drives.  One
is still in the green and black Smiths box dated1 July 1971 and both
drives have the  4302/50 designation on them.  BTW - they also have the
later hex fitting that screws onto the generator.  The original Bugeye
fitting  had longitudinal ribs and was round.

--
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite