horn button question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: horn button question
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:03:37 -0500
Got the horn working, was touch and go there for awhile.
I assume the loudness of the horn isn't all that great normally, even when
new? About as loud as a particularly wimpy motorcycle horn? I wouldn't want it
right next to my ear, but when I was working on it and had it jumped to the
battery, I didn't really feel the need to RUN to disconnect the wires from the
battery either. Would get a pedestrians attention and not much else.
On the horn button, it wouldn't fit with the contact piece in the wheel. Made
sense I needed to shorten the contact piece, so did that, took off maybe
1/4-3/8" or so. All fit in, like is good. Right? No horn..... I could feel the
contact pieces spring compress when I put the button into the wheel, so
figured I didn't shorten it too much or anything. I used a dab of silicone
grease on the center of the brass contact tab on the back of the button, horn
now works with the button. Am I missing some sort of contact spring for the
top of the steering shaft or what?