Re: Ignition timing confusion...

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing confusion...
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:34:36 -0500
Okay... I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the drive dog is
off a tooth.  But I still don't understand how this could produce the
results I'm experiencing???  How in the world can the distributor positional
rotation have anything to do with the timing of the car *if* the #1 piston
is firing at 10 deg. BTDC *and* the cam/crank is timed correctly.  In other
words, why would the engine care if the vacuum advance was pointed at 1:00,
11:00, 2:00 or the moon if it was set so that #1 was firing at 10 deg. BTDC
and the firing order was correct (which it is).

BTW... I checked again... #1 at TDC and the exhaust and intake valves on #4
are balanced (partially open).  I'm as positive as I can be that the
cam/crank is timed correctly.  The jury's still out on the distributor drive
dog, but I'm still confused as to how in the world that would affect things
(other than the position of the distributor when timed correctly).

Again... I appreciate any and all comments.  I'm want to understand what is
going on and why/how the distributor drive dog could produce the results I'm
seeing.

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L