Re: Anybody own a new generation Mini??

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Subject: Re: Anybody own a new generation Mini??
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:00:05 -0700
Hi Jack,

We've got an 05 MINI (non-S) and love it.  No serious troubles.  The
supercharged version is more power and trouble than needed.  Since you can
easily put the non-S sideways, why pay the extra money to get sideways
faster?  My buddy has an "S" and has had some trouble with it.  The main
service problem with both is the electric window motors.  Same as the BMW Z3
and responsive to the same fix.  When the window motor quits, ball you fist
and whack the door just above the inside handle.  Voila, window works,
almost Lucas-like.

The large sun-roof is nice, the cloth seat option is good for hot climates,
the Harmon Kardon sound system is powerful enough for most anyone.  Stay
away from the run-flats.  The 5sp tranny shifts very smoothly, and the
mileage is excellent.

Good luck finding the right one, (and are you sure about the automatic?)

Glen Byrns