Re: Alternator Wiring

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>,
Subject: Re: Alternator Wiring
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:03:02 -0500
>>> Some rectifiers had a big terminal going to each of 2
plates, with a small terminal at 1 plate (the closest to the center,
IIRC)  Others had 3 plates, but the 2 large terminals actually were
together at the middle plate.

That was all I could figure. I think that every Lucas alternator I have
looked inside of has been unique. I have frequently wondered whether they
ever found a "standard". I have seen more kinds of regulators than I could
document. "Let's try a different regulator." "Again."

I, too, have heard that all the regulators were interchangeable, but I have
never seen the diagrams to show you how to hook up a 2-wire when you had
removed a 5-wire. I have also heard that current replacements for the
semiconductors of a Lucas alternator are suspect from the get-go, both
regulators and rectifiers. I guess it is all part of the plot to make the
concours crowd suffer as much as possible ;-)