Re: A visit to AH Spares

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: A visit to AH Spares
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:58:30 -0400
You make good points. However, ever since Lockerbie I've thought that
each bag should be checked. I'd love for there to be alternatives but
I haven't heard of any.

I use TAS-approved locks. In theory TAS can unlock and relock those,
but what happens when one flies out of the US? Snip-snip.

I do think that everyone on board, including crew, should fly
naked...Except Cap'n Bob.

At 2:46 PM -0400 6/14/06, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>This has always concerned me.
>
>Firstly I have to leave my bag unlocked 'just in case' someone wants to
>inspect it.  So from the moment my bag leaves my hands it's
>insecure.  Ok, I can
>lock but then if someone wants to inspect it they bust the lock.
>After the bag
>has been inspected if it gets inspected it remains unlocked.  To my thinking
>this is a ludricous state of affairs and the biggest weak link in airport
>security.
>
>Daniel1312
>
>In a message dated 14/06/06 18:06:11 GMT Daylight Time, jboatri@emory.edu
>writes:
>

>>  The slip of paper does not. The fact that the bag was opened and
>>  inspected might. The slip of paper is put in the bag by the inspector
>>  to communicate to the bag's owner that someone other than the owner
>>  has rifled through it.
>>
>>  It's one of the very, very few things about security that makes sense
>  > to me. X-ray each bag, if suspicious, open and inspect.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Associate Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu