No LBC, Just Wise Words

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: No LBC, Just Wise Words
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
I have some wise words for the list.  When the temperature is over 100 F
ambient, don't leave a can of R-134a in your vehicle.  My 2000 F-150 was
parked in my driveway here in San Bernardino, California when the temps
soared to 3 digits.  I had a few days earlier tried to refill the AC
system with the can of R-134a.  When I connected the fitting with a
pressure gauge to the low pressure side of the AC system, it read over 169
psi.  The most it is supposed to be is 45 psi or so.  The compressor was
cycling on and off every few seconds also.  My AC guru friend told me that
this indicated that the compressor had gone bad and needed to be replaced.
 Being a little disappointed, I just disconnected the fitting/gauge from
the freon as I had not yet pierced the seal on it and put the can in the
center arm rest drink holder and forgot about it.  My mind was on the cost
of a new compressor.  Yesterday the temperature got way up there and I
found out you cannot store a can of freon in a parked car in these
temperatures with the windows up.  The can exploded from the BOTTOM of the
can (weakest place?) and must of shot up like a rocket leaving an oily
mess all over the interior of the truck in it's wake.  Of course I have
cloth velour type seats and headliner.  Oh yes, it got all over the
headliner too.  So remember my wise words next time you are too lazy to
take a can of something under pressure out of your car if it sits outside.
:^(
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2
02 FLSTS
00 F-150 with a few days of cleaning ahead. oh boy!