WAS: Distributor NOW: racing

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: WAS: Distributor NOW: racing
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:14:32 -0400
Some amateur racing organizations whole reason for being is to make a
buck for the owner.  Others are clubs and every member has the
opportunity to make as much noise as s/he wants to set policy.  Sure
there may be cliques that steer things their way and even non-driver
martinets who find a club the perfect venue for their control fantasies,
but generally these groups are run by and for the members.

I believe VSCDA is like that and has struggled for years to create race
groups that make some sense within the spirit of vintage racing. I guess
that "spirit" is open to interpretation. Although I race a square-body
1275 prepared very much like the Works race cars of the 60's, I have
never felt "cheated" by the presence of 1275 Bugeyes on the track with
me.

But I think this issue has more to do with some of the other race
groups, where people are spending big money and investing big egos in
the outcome of a heat. Shee-it! It's all theater and we're all just
playing at it.

Most sanctioning bodies (VSCDA included) need entries to stay in
business and they want a field of cars that look good and put on a good
competitive show. If "big bore Sprites" do that, and the members make
their wishes known, then I believe the cars will run.

Although this may be of minimal interest to most on the list, I'd be
curious about WST's comments on the politics behind this in VSCDA.

JohnD

P.S. And I believe VSCDA is proposing a phase-in of proposed changes
over several years.