RE: LBC but non Spridget- Sevens/corvette

To: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: LBC but non Spridget- Sevens/corvette
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:01:56 -0400
interesting!  similar to the reason to be carefull buying corvette
roadsters of the 60's - 70's versions.  the bodys rust out!   there is a
steel frame around the windshield wich goes downwards where the door hinges
attach and then goes rearward in the body's rockers.    if the upper
bonding strips or glass around the steel structure allows water to enter
between the glass & steel support structure water tracks downward and rusts
out the rocker supports inside the fiberglass.      i have a friend in
chesapeake Va. restoring one of the alleged 30something 69 corvettes with
factory shoulder harnesses(oddball option that year?).    he has owned the
car for years!  the car was great with the hard top on it.  take off the
hard top & at 55mph on up the windshield vibrated verybadly!  why?  during
the restoration it was found to have been hit in the nose & while not
totalling the car it disturbed enough of the glasswork bonded to the steel
structure.    hence a literally rusted out fiberglass car people say only
the frame can rust out on!.

chuck.
that car is literally all cut apart to replace the steel structure to
reassemble for restoration!

tubes and the steel tube frames most definitely can rust and mosre
importantly crack. All of this may be less on newer Caterhams.

> _______________________
>
> Yes.... the chassis tubes can definitely crack, even without rust,
especially in the earlier cars.  Increasing engine power and using wide
or/and modern "grippy" tires exacerbate the problem. The Lotus Seven
suspension works best with the original size tires, and even a modest
increase in size noticeably change the feel of the car.

> After the 37 or so S4 they built, Caterham reverted to building the S3.
They first used the Lotus series lll chassis, but they modified it over the
years, and Caterham built Sevens, especially after 1996 or 1997 (not quite
sure of the year!), do not seem to suffer from the same problems. I would
not worry about cracks in a recent Caterham, except for the De Dion cars
which have had a well documented problem with failure of the rear
axle/suspension. They went though three redesigns of the pick up
points/brackets, and I am not sure they totally solved the problem. I
personally prefer the live axle cars - yes, I am aware of the advantages of
the De Dion... but the live axle is simpler, lighter (that's important to
me!), and not prone to failure.

> The S4 has a fiberglass body with steel reinforcement side panels, and
there can also be rust between the panels and the chassis. There is also a
spot under the steering rack where water can collect and rust the cross
member. Problem with the S4 is that as the fiberglass panel/side panels are
bonded to the chassis, it is very difficult to check for rust in the
chassis. It is easier to do so in the earlier aluminum clad cars.