Re: I know, it's only rock and roll....(BUT)!!!!!!

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I know, it's only rock and roll....(BUT)!!!!!!
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:25:05 -0500
Big Mike wrote:
>      I could buy a crotch rocket for less than 7 grand that will pass my
> bike like I was going backwards, but it still would not be a Harley.

Wouldn't outlast a Beemer either...  I've had several freinds tag
along with their rice rockets. I now refuse to take them with me as I
am tired of having to either repair their bike or make arrangements to
ship them and the bike back from north or south Podunk.  Have stopped
to help plenty of Harley's too.  I've had Harley's. That's why I now
have Beemers   ;-)  Recall the H-D XA?

> I just don't think you are getting a "thumbs up" from passersby in
> their cages (cars) on a crotch rocket or a BMW no matter how
> technically superior it is.

Precisely. And that's certainly not what I'm in it for. It's simply a
matter of preference. I prefer *stealth* riding I want to be through
your town and 50 miles down the road before someone says, "Hey!  Did a
bike just go by?" I have no desire to be recognized as the "guy who
rides THAT machine".  I just want something that can take me on my
travels reliably and comfortably with a minimum of maintenance,
up-keep and impact on it's surroundings and a maximum of performance.
If John Deere made that machine, I'd give up the BMW for a John Deere
no matter what it looked like.

In my 45 years of riding I discovered BMW's are all about function
while Harley's are all about appearance. I will concede, however,
that recent Harley models have certainly become far more reliable than
the older ones - the engine design is still antique and inefficient
from an engineering and functional standpoint. Too bad they gave up on
the XA before investing a little engineering into it. It ran a LOT
cooler than the V twins. If I had to have a Harley I'd buy the V-Rod
but the gas tank is too small.

BTW, There is an Indian Chief (30s??) parked along the west side of
US283 somewhere between Shattuck, OK and Throckmorton, TX. Looks like
they guy may be selling it. I didn't have time to stop and ask and it
was pi$$ing down rain both times I passed it on the K-bike last
weekend.

>  To me even a motor scooter is fun to
> ride, but they are like fat girls, fun to ride, but you would not
> want your friends to see you on one. ;^)

Especially if it's their wife...    ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City
--