Re: Torque vs. Horsepower

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Torque vs. Horsepower
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:01:03 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>

I like it, Larry.  It is a pretty good explanation of the relationship
between torque and horsepower. Of course, there is a huge caveat
here...

In the example, all rotating items (axles, crankshafts, wheels,
tires...etc) are inelastic (solid) objects. What if the rotating item
is elastic (non-solid) such as a whirlpool, hurricane, flow down a
tube airflow through a vent...etc.  In that case torque varies
considerably with respect to ones proximity to the axis of rotation
(which may, itself be moving), the nature of the fluid (density,
temperature & homogenuity), frictional forces, wall or near wall
conditions, disturbances in the flow....etc.

You get the idea.  These are things that designers of carborator
venturis, brake systems, fuel systems, exhaust systems have to deal
with. Meteorologists and all fluid dynamicists also have to know this
stuff.

Just some trivia to help you appreciate the math and physics guys out
there...   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City

You're not getting the point here, Jim.  We don't give a damn about
whirlpools and hurricanes.  The point was to dump that clapped out L98 and
get an LT1.  Sheesh.

Besides, you're a weatherman, how are we supposed to believe anything you
say?  Wait.  That's right, you are retired now.

Question: Are retired weathermen as unreliable as the ones who are still
getting paid to be wrong most of the time?  I'll bet your gold watch doesn't
even tell the right time.

LD