Re: joke no LBC

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: joke no LBC
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:19:19 -0800
     Jim Johnson wrote:  "Well...   It took me a while as it is pretty
obtuse...   ShroveTuesday in England has become known as "Pancake Day"."

Absolutely correct!  Give the man a cigar!

For those Yanks amongst us, English pancakes are FAR different from
American pancakes.  The batter is the same as for Yorkshire Pudding, but
thinned with milk.  Thinly cooked  on both sides of the skillet, they
are covered with heaps of butter, sugar, lemon juice, then rolled and
cut into small pieces for eating.  Yorkshire pudding was traditionally
served with roast beef, and for the "less affluent", the saying at the
dinner table was that "the one who eats the most Yorkshire pudding gets
the most rost beef."  It was a good way to ensure that people filled up
on the pud, thus stretching out the roast beef.

Coming from our English family, our children grew up on both Yorkshire
pudding and English pancakes, especially when we were destitute".
Today, they still love both and serve it to their families

Buster Evans.