Re: Sway Bars

To: pythias@pacifier.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sway Bars
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 05:36:58 EST
Sorry but a lot of this sounds all wrong in context of a spridget.

Cars don't generally change so much from being an understeering car to an
oversteering car rather you change the order (or speed) at which each one
appears.

If you put a 1" bar on a Sprite it would understeer on corner entry unless
you give a lot of throttle in which case it would oversteer or if you balanced
the throttle in the slide to drift it through the corner.

The 1"bar is interesting because you can get a hollow one which only has as
much effect as a 7/8" bar or something like that.

It's also possible that a Spridget can have a lot of understeer because it
has a lot of front end roll and that fitting an anti-roll bar reduces
understeer
because it allows the tyres to have better contact with the road.

The Panhard rod doesn't prevent roll it's job is sideways axle location at
the rear of the car.

You almost never want a rear bar on a Spridget or any other live axle car
because the live axle already provides all the roll stiffnesss (??) you need -
or
at least it always ensures both wheels are upright most of the time.  Fitting
a rear anti-roll bar usually creates a massive amount of oversteer.

Regards

Daniel1312 - Need to measure the bar on the car in my garage.