Re: Cats, guns, beer...now add aircraft

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cats, guns, beer...now add aircraft
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:06:10 -0600
Thanks, Bill.  I called an old friend in Galveston who had worked on
the plane. It was an A6M3 model but the original engine (the 950 hp
Sakae) had been removed and replaced with the 1000 hp Kensei-43 (which
was used in the float plane version during WWII). He informed me that
I had flown it with the Kensei engine which was (as I correctly
recalled) replaced that same year with the Pratt-Whitney R-1830 much
like the one you can see at <www.warbirdalley.com/zero.htm>. The
engine replacement was necessitated by an irreplacable broken crank
and counter balancer. Sadly this particular aircraft is no longer
airworthy. It awaits someone with major money and major time to come
along and get it restored.

Cheers!!
Jim

--