Re: Thermostat and Electric Fan Advice and Qs

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>, Spridget List (spridget list)
Subject: Re: Thermostat and Electric Fan Advice and Qs
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:09:48 GMT
Hi, Derfman.

"7 o'clock" would equal a 68C or 168F
(summer) stat., same as I use.

Normally, the motor will seek 180 or so by itself which is about as warm as it
normally gets in summer while underway.

Anything up to approx. 190 is fine, some say even 200 so no reason to set your
"auto" switch sooner unless you're planning on driving in heavy traffic in
summer temps (80F+) a good deal of the time, in which case 180 I guess.

I'd set the auto switch to 185-190 otherwise. Saves the fan and the engine
is happy.

One thing, since overheating is something you don't want to screw around with
considering the damage it can do.

Install a manual switch on a separate circuit with an inline fuse, right off
the battery as a backup in the event your auto function fails in the fan "off"
position.

Cheap insurance. :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)