Re: [Spridgets] Spridget tow bar

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spridget tow bar
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:28:51 -0800
There are hundreds of RV'ers that flat tow cars everyday, myself
included.  I have flat towed my Jeep and CRV over 20,000 miles  and
never had a problem with the wheels not coming back to center after a
turn.  Granted both vehicles are heaver than a Spridget and I have
avoided ice and similar conditions.  I do keep my eye on the rear
view mirror for really hard turns just to be sure that the towed
vehicle does straighten out.  The towed vehicle does need to have a
proper front end alinement and the steering needs to be able to work
with out to much effort.  But both of my towed vehicles have power
steering and of course the engines are not running so some extra
effort is require for the wheels to come back to center.  The one
thing that is almost impossible to do is back up.  The towed vehicle
wheels will certainly turn about any direction except for the one you
want.

  I do prefer an inclosed trailer to move my Sprite rather than flat
tow but only because I do not want to risk paint chips and such when
I am not having fun driving it myself.

My 2 cents.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor)
2000 Miata Special Edition