Re: [Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:29:13 -0700
Bill,

That is true and will work.  For many if not most cars upping the
tire pressure a few psi (<10) will give you better mileage with out
adversely effecting tire wear and generally improve handling.

If I was paying attention the statement was to inflate to the maximum
mfg pressure.  If this is the pressure on the tire then it will most
likely be over inflated.  For instance the tires on the Miata have a
maximum rated pressure of 44 psi but 30 psi is where the car handles
well in everyday driving and is several psi above what Mazda
specifies.  At 44 psi the centers would be gone in no time not to
mention the loss of road grip under adverse weather conditions.

For our Spridgets finding the right tire pressure is a bigger
challenge unless you are running bias ply tires where you have the
recommend pressures that came with the car.  I am about to put new
tires on the Sprite and have been working with my supplier to try and
find a reference from the tire mfg that either correlates bias ply
pressures to radial pressures or pressures by vehicle weight
distribution, no luck thus far.

Lets start a new thread for tire pressures - what tires and what
pressures are you running ?  If you want to send them to me I will
put them together in a single sheet for the list.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor)
2000 Miata Special Edition