[Spridgets] LotO Autocross

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] LotO Autocross
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:02:23 -0500
How Many Ways Can YOU Have Fun In A Spridget???

I enjoy trips in my Spridgets, tours with the car clubs I belong to, and
gimmick rallies, as well as working on them, even with the occasional
frustration, but one of my favorite activities is autocross. Autocrossing
your Spridget will help you appreciate the nimbleness and agility of your
car, as well as letting you play with your car's limits of traction and
power.

Because I enjoy autocrossing, I am helping to present the autocross event at
the Fifty Years of Spridgets Celebration. Whether you have never heard of
autocrossing or whether you have a row of SCCA trophies on your mantel, I
would like to invite you and your Spridget to come join us from noon to 4 on
Friday, June 27 at the Pa He Tsi parking lot.

In order to defray the expenses incurred, there is a charge of $5 per entry;
this represents the best motorsports value you will ever see!

We are planning to setup the course in the morning, so you should be able to
walk the course by our noon starting time. The mandatory driver's meeting
will be at 12:15 and we will be starting our runs as soon as the safety
meeting is over.

The number of runs we will get will depend on how many people show up and
how efficiently we can run people through. Our timing equipment, on loan
from the Windy City Miata Club, can handle multiple cars on course, we will
have radios for communications, and with your help we should have a great
event.

Yes, it takes a lot of warm bodies to put on a good autocross. If you would
like to drive the course, we would like you to also be willing to work the
course. It isn't hard, but cones need to be reset and called in to the
control tent (as Barney Gaylord has been heard to say, "If you don't hit any
cones, you aren't trying hard enough!"), cars need to be lined up and
started safely, the timing equipment needs someone to operate it and we all
want our turn to drive.

Spridgets were not all created equal and many of them have evolved in
interesting ways, so we have four classes:
1. Under 1200cc
2. Over 1200cc
3. Prepared (R-compound tires, forced induction, car setup for autocross)
4. Modified (non-Spridget engines, non-street legal, V8, etc)

Safety is always a priority at these events, so please be aware of a few
issues.

1. Battery needs to be fastened down
2. Throttle return spring should be good
3. Should have a firm brake pedal, has enough brake fluid
4. All of the lug nuts present and tight
5. Not too much play in the front end
6. Got to have some seat belts
7. Loose stuff needs to be removed from car
8. Helmets are required

There will be a sign-up sheet at the registration table along with the
traditional liability waiver and the glorious opportunity to hand over $5 of
your hard-earned cash. Come on out and let your Spridget have some fun!