Re: [Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question
From: Dave Grandeffo <davegran@tds.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 15:22:22 -0500
David Riker wrote:
> The TO bearing is supposed to be in constant contact with the pressure
> plate.  Like the pads on disc brakes, there is no spring to pull the
> throw out bearing away.  It is the diaphram spring itself returning to
> rest that pushes back on the TO bearing....
>
> David R.
Not to start an argument, but every clutch I've worked on is supposed to
be set up with a measurable amount of "Free Pedal". This means that the
first small increment of clutch pedal travel (typically 1/2" -1" or
thereabouts - check your manual) doesn't move the pressure plate. In
other words, there should be no tension/pressure on the throwout
bearing. A lack of free pedal means that the throwout bearing is being
held against the pressure plate, is spinning constantly, and will have a
greatly reduced life span. This is the same reason you shouldn't come up
to a stop sign and stay in gear with the clutch disengaged, no matter
what they say in driver's ed....

I've never had to replace a throwout bearing on one of my own cars and I
usually keep 'em for over 200,000 miles before they succumb to the tin
worm. A throwout bearing is not designed to spin constantly.

--
Dave Grandeffo