Re: [Spridgets] Fiat

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fiat
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 16:33:37 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Wed, 5/6/09, Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com> wrote:
"I recall that the one main area that the Fiat failed were consistently blown
head gaskets."

I don't know very much about it, but apparently timing belts were a common
failure item.  I had a friend in Nashville who used to keep spare belts all
the time.  Whenever he saw a Fiat parked under a tree or behind a house in
obvious disuse he'd knock on the door to see if they wanted him to haul it off
for them.  If that didn't work, he would offer some ridiculously low price.
He'd then come back with a battery, replace the belt, and in a short
time drive it away.  Never actually went with him to do this, but he seemed to
have a "new" Fiat every few weeks.  He would then do a quick detail job on it
and sell it for a profit.  His daily driver was an old Alfa Spider so he had
been bitten by the Italian bug pretty badly.

David Booker
'71 Midget
Long Island