Re: [Spridgets] was Not LBC...Both the Pontiac and Saturn....now GM

To: chris_west <chris_west@juno.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] was Not LBC...Both the Pontiac and Saturn....now GM
From: "Pete Chast" <pchast@francomm.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:17:19 -0400
My 1963 Tempest convertible was a 326 It had an enclosed solid drive shaft
the transmission that was bolted directly to the rear end. I snapped 4
different
drive shafts, before I scrapped it, over the course of 2 years. The junk
yard was
the only place I could find one. I was told the dealer in Catskill could
not order
one. It was 1969 and I was a hot foot at 19 yrs old......... loved that
car.

Pete
Athens, NY

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:25:35 -0400, chris_west <chris_west@juno.com> wrote:

> For the record AFAIK:        Pontiac "Big Block" displacements (CI), year
> introduced               Pontiac "Small Block" displacements (CI), year
> introduced
>                                                          287 ,    1955
>  265 ,     1980
>                                                          316 ,    1956
>  301 ,     1977
>                                                          347 ,    1957
>  303 ,     1969
>                                                          370 ,    1958
>  326 ,     1964
>                                                          389 ,    1959
>  336 ,     1963
>                                                          400 ,    1967
>  350 ,     1968
>                                                          421 ,    1961
>                                                          428 ,    1967
>                                                          455 ,    1970
>
>                                              Chevrolet "Big Block"
> displacements (CI), year introduced         Chevrolet "Small Block"
> displacements, year introduced
>                                                          348,     1958
>  262,     1975
>                                                          366,     1965
>  265,     1955
>                                                          396,     1965
>  267,     1979
>                                                          402,     1970
>  283,     1957
>                                                          409,     1961
>  302,     1967
>                                                          427,     1966
>  305,     1975
>                                                          454,     1970
>  307,     1968
>         327,     1962
>         350,     1967
>         400,     1970
>

> Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac engines were also grouped into "Big
> Blocks" and "Small Blocks" but there were actually more variations among
> them and therefore defy any sort of straightforward classification.
> Chris - AN5L35xxx

snip