Re: [Spridgets] Wire wheel conversion

To: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Wire wheel conversion
From: jjj@acsnet.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:15:14 -0500 (CDT)
> Kurt, I don't doubt that you came across two axles that had issues.
> But how do you mean loose? And how did they get this way?
> For those splines to have come loose in the hub somebody had to do
> something
> stupid in assembly at some point, like not tighten the lug nuts that
> secure the hub to the bearing hub and then drove it for a while.

   Dean: Apparently the factory used only an interference press fit on not
full depth splines. I don't know the history of the axles but if you
think about it there is a pretty good load to cause them to move in
there splines. Just a little play in the bearings would put a good
twist on them. OTOH I have used a lot of good ol Locktite green stud
locker and if anything other than welding would hold them, it should.
 I still would preferr changing axle's housing and all.

Kurt.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive