So I get my new ignition module off of ebay last weekend.
Pull out the Pertronix and install the new unit.
Still no spark.
So I do the test I did previously, I put a spark plug on the coil directly
and ground the base of the plug with a test lead. I then manually ground
the trigger wire to the MSD box.
Plenty of spark.
Re-assemble everything and after some testing I realize that no spark is
making it out of the distributor.
I pull the cap off and take it down to the bench. I have a spark making
thingy called an Audin coil (it was used back in the 50's to test TV tubes)
I use this to verify the cap and wires are OK. No spark leakage.
That leaves only one thing. I go up to the car and pull the rotor and take
it down to the bench.
I zap the brass of the rotor with the Audin coil while I hold a screwdriver
(grounded with a test lead) and the spark jumps right through the plastic
to the hole where it fits on the distributor shaft. I couldn't believe it.
Seems like the powerful MSD eventually ate it's way through the rotor.
The rotor I had in there was an aftermarket one with a rivet used to hold
the brass to the plastic. Turns out that is a Bad Thing.
A little research on the web and I find this...
And I end up ordering this...
I put an old Lucas rotor from the junk box in there for the short term until
I get the new type.
The broken wire in the distributor I had discovered previously was a wild
goose chase. There must have been another sneek path to ground, or the wire
was just barely touching metal.
I guess I ended up paying for my misdiagnosis. But the way I look at is
that I now have a spare electronic ignition module should the one in there
fail later on.
Hopefully all my ignition issues can be put to bed for a while.
Suggested annual donation $12.75