[Spridgets] 1275 Rib Case

To: jimndi@frontiernet.net
Subject: [Spridgets] 1275 Rib Case
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:11:18 -0800
Jim,

I have a 1274 with a rib case.  . which was running with a smooth case until
I changed out the gear box.

I'm a neophyte with this stuff, but thought I would mention due to my
experience.

I went through two throw out bearings until I got the correct length from
Frank.  (I took my rod to the grinder and ground it down to the correct
length).  A *small* difference in the length seems to make a big impact.

The current throwout bearing, carbon, has been holding just fine over the
last year plus with daily driving, rain or shine, as my '59 is my daily and
only car at this point in my life.

(Wife has a late model PT Cruiser with turbo. .  and I do not care to drive
her car. .  staying out of it as much as possible).

I might also add that the throwout bearing I am using is an older one that I
found in my parts and as such it also seems to be made better than the new
ones I was buying, which might also be part of the difference?

And here I am saying this and forgetting the correct length.

Frank or others on the list might chime in with the correct length, given
that you need this information?

Just a thought that came to mind after reading your post.

Kirk
59 1275

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75