Re: [Spridgets] Question - Jake Brake

To: bjshov8@tx.rr.com,spridgets-bounces@autox.team.net,"spridgets"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Question - Jake Brake
From: an5.sprite@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:01:47 +0000
Thanks, great explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Sender: spridgets-bounces@autox.team.net
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:43:50
To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>

That's correct.
In a diesel the engine sucks in as much air as it wants, the piston compresses
the air, then at the top of the stroke assuming you aren't injecting fuel the
compressed air pushes the piston back down.  It is like a spring- compress the
spring then let the spring push back out and you haven't exerted any net work.
BUT if you do the work to compress the spring, then have a mechanism that
releases the spring, you don't get the work back out of the spring.  In the
diesel engine it compresses the air, then the jake brake opens and lets the
compression out before the compressed air can push the piston back down.  So
basically the engine is functioning as an air compressor.