[Spridgets] Question - Jake Brake

Subject: [Spridgets] Question - Jake Brake
From: cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com (CosmicMag1380)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 00:43:33 -0400
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Kirk Hargreaves
<khargreaves2 at gmail.com> wrote:
How does a Jake brake work?   I understand that it shuts off or
controls the output of the exhaust which causes back up pressure to
slow the engine for engine braking?

I could be way off base here because of the modern interpretation on
Wiki but back in the early 70s I was involved in the trucking industry
and a Jake brake was a clutch add-on that slowed the engine RPM when
the clutch was depressed so that the next gear could be selected
without a lot of grinding. They were common on 1950s era big trucks
that did not have fully syncho'ed gearboxes. My lifelong memory is of
a 1955 Autocar tri-axle tow truck in Harry & Carl's towing fleet here
in Cincy. I would see it ocassionally and it made the neatest noises
of any diesel that I ever heard. The driver would spin up in 1st, it
would snort loudly, go into second, snort again, etc. That thing would
shift 6 or 7 times before it would clear a large intersection. A way
cool truck!

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye