Re: [Spridgets] Source for Wire Wheels

To: "'Bob Spruck'" <mgmaven@bellsouth.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Source for Wire Wheels
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:19:32 -0500
Thread-index: Ac3NGspFLDGYhSB1SPanyIhbNtQkDAABTFdw s=q20121106; t=1354079979; bh=Ni4vrgC4M17dCIJdvhEB20tnNil2S0a4x3znOT2QRRs=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=km+ruLCiXx1jEZF2WHljjDNGR9ebunkTvasWIku4hnqjZ/ehI4yyBdkQqkkIHwFm2 Za456vTlaJz+kInCOBFej31diGufFwg/B19VcZg1eLx61RnZ16mqrabgRfBx4WKplr q0Ev7cxAIPtPLJOieRSIiofaCh5DwVSA0W48azHCEmiT0ytxblGcRXh4DQQ+IYFBuP GpBKulPKInDWEFldSbB+e5cMpNuxW2ADk0awz3ernS0XgutZqfqWRTJShEBqO8esIs Qx4kv71RFaEXEo6M4mYpVfQGhbJRmCwkMspYW5exKmxZh2IWZPixs0Pfp7p876vAyq 9gEb+KMqy9e5w==
New wire wheels are not going to be inexpensive, no matter where you go.
I prefer the painted wheels over the chrome. But that's just me.

I could not find anybody to mount wires wheels.  So I learned how to do it
myself.  Given your experience it sounds like I made the right choice.

It is actually easier than I thought it would be.  I did it with two tire
irons from harbor freight.  I mounted a spare axle half shaft in the bench
vise pointed up, and used it to hold the wheel while I mounted the tire.

The least expensive approach is to refurb old wheels, but it is a lot of
work.  It entails buying a multitude of used wire wheels (craigslist, flea
markets, etc) and picking out the best of the lot.  I am amazed at how many
used wire wheels I find at rock bottom prices on Craigslist.  Somebody
actually gave me a wire wheel at a car show this past year.

People talk about "truing" lbc wire wheels like they were bicycle wheels.
It's a total fallacy.  I never happens.

The ones that I have found to be out of true were because somebody hit them
on the curb.  In other words, the rims get bent.  I have not seen the case
where the rim was out of line with the hub where spoke truing could be
applied.  And "oh by the way", I've laced my own custom bicycle wheels, so I
know what is involved here (I was taught how to true a motorcycle wheel by
an elderly Italian motorcycle mechanic back in the early 80's).

So I spent quite a bit of time, "unbending" some of the rims I had acquired.
I did it on a cast iron table saw top.  Big "C" clamps, sledge hammer,
whatever it took.  I rigged up two wooden blocks with holes to mount an axle
half shaft. This allowed me to spin the wheels and test for trueness.

Loose and broken spokes are a little more common.  For this reason the worst
wheel of the lot is turned into the "spoke donor".  We do this because
spokes purchased from the suppliers are very expensive.

Of course, sand blasting, chemical paint stripping, primering and painting
are also involved.  But this is a hobby..yes?

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive