Re: [Spridgets] anyone ever hear of a factory Mk I Sprite, w/boot/trunk

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] anyone ever hear of a factory Mk I Sprite, w/boot/trunk lid?
From: "GUY DAY" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:45:20 +0100
There probably were/are some in the UK and in my younger days even recall
seeing an advertisement about them with a boast of a 'U' shaped lip and seal
for the lid.  If I remember the fittings/hinges were from am A30 or A35.  I
always wondered (not so much nowadays) where the water went when the lip was
full as there was no drain hole and the opening didn't seem to fold round
far enough back to let it drain over the outside of the bodywork.  I can
also recall debate about the opening being large enough to get the spare
wheel and tyre through.

I don't really know why, after someone has come up with a bright idea and
had their Spridget altered or even done it themselves (any adequately
skilled body chap could do it), it is always attributed to the 'unique and
rare factory modified' unrecorded design done by Donald and Geoffrey Healey
in secret in the barn at the side of their house....

BTW, have you seen the recent pictures of the thoroughly rusted one for sale
at Bury in the UK that Donald and Geoffrey Healey modified with a Ford Pinto
engine, rear fins and a plate with a 3 legged frog design on the hood?
<Just one more minor modification that hasn't been recorded in the factory
archives.... LOL>

Guy R Day