Re: Sprite hubs and axles

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, <farberjf@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Sprite hubs and axles
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:51:43 +1000
A trick around here for "we tight" competitors is to use a wire wheel
banjo on 1/2 elliptic cars and use cut-off wire wheel half shafts. these are
much stronger than standard axles and are cheap.

An added advantage is that you can run 5" wheels, R rated tyres and
not have to pump out the guards on square wheel arch cars. You do have to
use a 3/8" spacer.

Of course, unless you modify the axle housing to use the towers off
a 1/4 elliptic car, this won't help the flounder.

Maybe you should think about alternate suppliers of high strength axles?
If you can handle the freight costs, I can strongly recommend a local
guy here in Melbourne Australia. Almost everyone here uses his axles
and they break very rarely. this is even for the 150HP killer motors being
run by 3 competitors (billet crank, trick main brace/caps, Carillo rods,
1440+cc, 138 cfm heads, 9500 redline). If they can cope with these motors
driven by hard  drivers, then they should cope with WST's 948!
One of them is my sometimes navigator Peter Brice he has been using
the same set of axles for at least 3 years now!!!

A final note is that if you are using a welded diff and R rated tyres,
there is really nothing that will save you. The high strength ones will
last much longer than anything else, but they'll still break. The guys
mentioned above use a quaife LSD and these are definitely gentler
on the half shafts.

Mike