Re: RA regrets

To: Scott Paceley <spaceley@uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: RA regrets
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:39:03 -0500
Scott Paceley wrote:

> >If you need a technique for dealing with a loud aprtment neighbor I can
> >give you a tip and provide the sound track. It worked wonders 27 years
> >ago.
>
> Thanks bill.  This is no apartment-this right next to our house! Well
> within crossbow range.
>
> I've been thinkin' of various tactics. Most include things like a circular
> saw and many long thin strips of plywood or maybe one of those little fog
> horns at around 6 am.
>
> I'm sure the trash next door has a genetic predispostion for this sort of
> thing. I don't want to start something unless I know I can finish it.
>
> However, I do still have my "bachelor" speakers in the garage. What opera
> company did you say you where in?
>
> I have these dark thoughts doctor....
>
> Scott Paceley  *  spaceley@uiuc.edu  * 217-333-8759  *  Champaign, Illinois
>                            graphic design, photography, photo-illustration
About 1974, I had a new apartment dweller move into the apartment
downstairs when the original person moved out. The new guy was about 320
pounds and had to duck and turn sideways to enter a standard 30" by 80"
door. He was a bouncer at a local bar. He stood just about 6' 8" and
weighed about 350. When he came home from work it was 3:00 AM and he
would turn on his stereo to enjoy some tunes. Unfortunately his stereo
was just below my head when I was sleeping. Talking to him nicely didn't
seem to make a dent.

You have to understand that we lived under the traffic pattern for
Teterboro airport- one of the oldest airports in the United Stated and
the second buiest general aviation airport in the country. It was not
unusual for aircraft to come over our heads at all times of the day and
night.

One early morning, about 6:00 am in the winter, I got up, laid my EMI
speakers face down on the floor, cranked it up and played him a sound
track from the USS Enterprise which started out launching an F4 Phantom
across the room on a catapult launch. You must be aware that Phantoms
were extremely loud in real lif eand with our location I am sure he
thought one was truly entering his room. As he bailed out of the
apartment below me, he knocked over and tripped over a 5 gallon pail of
water which someone had placed in front of his door, winding up lying in
the snow in a spilled bucket of ice water. I gave him a spritely "Good
Morning" from the upstairs window and never had a problem with him
again.  specially when I mentioned to him that the next time he did
anything, I would call the cops and they might hapen to find  possibly
some questionable substances in his apartment.

Another technique involved the use of dummy hand grenades, but that is
for another time.

If they are in violation of zoning laws there is a different kind of
pressure that can be applied.

I am full of suggestions and experience gained in 39 years of living in
the New York Metropolitan area.

Leadbelly